Saturday, July 30, 2011

Politics rears its ugly head... again.

I have always hated politics. In fact, I wrote a similar post some years ago when something similar happened to me at work and I was ruminating on how to stay clear of this dirty game. Unfortunately, 5 years later, I still haven't figured out how to get around without getting my hands dirty anyway. And now, when my co-worker, who has been playing this game for a while, is really turning the heat up, I am so disgusted that I just want to get up and walk away. In the end, although I am choosing the high road and don't want to play the game, I'll be the loser, because I'll be walking away from a great opportunity to learn and grow in my career. How is this fair to me? I know... life isn't fair. But still....

Why would you sit back and watch someone fail? Particularly, when that someone has never tried to sabotage your career in any way? I understand that you want to "climb the ladder", but haven't you heard that you should watch your step when you do so? It's not all about positioning and relationships like my colleague thinks. I believe it's about character and the work you do. Yes, I want to climb the ladder too, but not see another person fail in the process when I could have helped them succeed.

Jealousy and insecurity is a dangerous combination. I have seen the effects of it before and I am seeing my colleague go down the same path now. And I wish I could help her, but I realize that help would need to come from another quarter, not me.

In the meantime, I need to figure out how I can carry on without her negativity affecting me and my work. I am here to learn and grow. I keep telling myself that from time to time, more often now than ever. Let's hope (my) perseverance and persistence pays off. Here's wishing good luck to me!

No comments: