Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Happiness Project - Misha's Gratitude Diary

I am currently reading this book called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. This book recounts Gretchen's year-long project to rediscover happiness in her life and how she accomplished it. I haven't gotten through the entire book yet, but I read enough to think about something I've wanted to do for a while  now. 

For quite some time, I have wanted to create a gratitude diary of sorts - a daily rendering of something that I am grateful for each day. I have noticed that, even on the most dismal days, if I think about it, I can find more than one thing for which I am grateful. I have been in a funk lately and don't seem to be excited about much these days, even though there's a lot going on and a lot more to be happy about. I have decided today is the day I am going to start my gratitude diary. 

I may not get to this every day, but I will make sure to update this on a regular basis. I read this recently:

As a child, did you ever play the game where you try to spot cars of a certain color? Whoever spots the most is the winner. Once you start looking, you become amazed at how many cars there are of the chosen color - and that's because you've become tuned in to it. The same can apply to your blessings. Start scanning your life and your daily happenings for moments of beauty, bouts of good luck, and episodes of happy coincidence. Once you start to see just how blessed you are, you will begin to receive even more blessings.

I am going to follow this advice and see what difference it makes in my life. 

Gratitude Diary 09/19:

Today I am grateful for the following things - 


  • I have a job that pays me enough and more to put food on the table, every day; I have a home to go back to; I have a wonderful, most understanding husband who loves me for all the crazy mess that I am; I have a wonderful mom who cares about me so much she is willing to sacrifice her entire life to see me happy; and I am grateful to have the love of God without whom none of the above would be possible. 
I feel better already :) I hope this daily exercise brings me out of my funk and I am back to normal in no time!

No comments: